Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
17 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [11] - Page 20 Empty Re: Doctor Who [11]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Kinda weird they gave the impression the Doctor and the Karn priestness have a long and fulfilling relationship as so far all she's done is resurrect him from death- Malick

Not sure about fulfilling- he does say he doesn't actually like her.
Just for the background, as I briefly explained the Karn thing to a friend and he seemed to think it cast light on the matter, so heres what I said to him basically for those without any classic knowledge.

Way back before the era of Rasilion and the Time Lords Gallifrey was ruled (pretty damn harshly and dictatorially) by a class of female priests - they pretty much dominated through superior will power and through psychic ability, which they found ways to amplify further via technology (when they refer to the Moment and stuff as being the last technology of Ancient Gallifrey, its the period when the Sisterhood ran the show they refer to- that they built things like an ultimate weapon of mass destruction indicates how they ruled).
Eventually they were overthrown by Rassilion and his lot and they condemned the 'sorcery' of the Priestesses and heralded a new age of reason and technology (though to start with they weren't much better- what with the Death Zones, where they brought different species from different points in time and set them against each other to the death for entertainment purposes). And nor were they so reasonable they didn't still use the psychic tech they wanted- like the sonic screwdriver or the TARDIS telepathic interfaces.

Once overthrown the survivors of the Priestess' made their way to Karn, which had always been a safe planet of theirs as on Karn is the Eternal Flame, which produces chemicals in the rocks there instrumental in regeneration and which the Priestess' had been guardians of.
Because they had the only access to the Flame, and because even Rassilion and co figured better them with the knowledge and protecting it than most others, the priestess' survived on Karn as the Sisterhood of Karn and return for their continued existence all they had to do was supply the High Council on Gallifrey with an annual quota of regen stuff (which is why they can offer specific regen types to 8 ), until one day when the eternal flame suddenly started to look a lot less eternal- enter the Doctor (4th) in Brain of Morbius.

'twisty turnyness is my raisin detour.'- Figg

Explains why I am constantly picking raisins out my teeth! Mad

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:17 pm

that sounds a bit like the history of humankind. women always get blamed for sorcery. whereas Rasilon/blokes powers are based on 'reason'.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Well you cant blame Moffat at least for that one!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:20 pm

that depends Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:21 pm

just had an orrible thought.

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:23 pm

women always get blamed for sorcery. whereas Rasilon/blokes powers are based on 'reason'.- Figg

Well whilst Rassilion and co claimed to be heralding in an age of reason they kept all the old psychic stuff that was useful to them, and were pretty much evil bastards a lot of the time too. Hence why bringing Rassilion back to head the Council in the last days of the Time War was both a desperate and a very stupid move to make.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:24 pm

The Brain of Morbeus, a Who rift on Frankenstein (I was 5 when I first saw this- it scared the shit out of me and gave me nightmares- but I was back for part 2 the next week Very Happy )-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Gatiss on his series 9 episode-

"Well I've had this story in my mind for a long time. It's set in the future. It's all from different points of view, which has not been done before on Doctor Who.
It's been quite a challenge to make because you have to break a lot of the usual rules in terms of what you can actually show. Anything you can do to shake the format up is very exciting and that's what we've done."

I wonder if its a victorianesque future Suspect

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Gatiss on his series 9 episode-

I wonder if its a victorianesque future Suspect

Gatiss and Victorianesque...nah, that will never happen Rolling Eyes

I read earlier today that the Episode Titles and synposes will be released next tuesday in The Radio Times, not long now bounce bounce bounce

I also came across this:

Possible SPOILER-rumoured Title/Synopsis leak for Eps 9-12:

If those are accurate I'm liking the sound of all four...the rumoured finale sounds very intriguing...only a few days to see if its accurate...

I also read an interview with Capaldi in which he stated 'Some of them are 3 parters', episode 11 is starring the Doctor alone, so are we going to be looking at a 3 part finale? Suspect

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:The Brain of Morbeus, a Who rift on Frankenstein (I was 5 when I first saw this- it scared the shit out of me and gave me nightmares- but I was back for part 2 the next week  Very Happy  )-

I watched that one recently, although it felt kinda like a camp Hammer Horror knock off at points, it was good fun Nod

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Ah well, fortunately when I first saw it I had yet to see my first Hammer Horror (I'd have been about 8 or 9 for that) or encountered any version of the Frankenstein story, so it was all brand new ideas so it all worked perfectly on me aged 5. Sofa

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Gatiss and Steampunk is over.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:26 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:42 pm

gonna miss Doctor Who next week. maybe I will find one of those link things and watch it on my pc.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:56 pm

I will see what I can find for you at the time Figg- but might be tricky so soon if you cant access the iplayer.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:20 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:22 pm

BBC America TV spot

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:06 pm

Love this-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:19 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I get a liiiitle bit tired of these female mystic characters who profess to have a long history with the Doctor and act familiar with him and yet have never appeared in the show before.- Forest

Um thats the Sisterhood pf Karn, first appeared in the Brain of Morbius, 4th Doctor era. Last seen in the Night of the Doctor in the 50th stuff.
The character has only appeared in that one little short thing with the 8th Doctor, to my knowledge, and yet her mystic visions of the unknown allow her to be all chummy apparently. I don't like it! I don't like the unearned familiarity as it is a story-telling trick that is meant to add emotional depth to a conversation without requiring actual character development to have taken place. This conversation would be quite a different matter if it took place between Lizard-lady and the Doctor, for example, because those two actually have a history together. This is just like those darn Brain-Oods glomping all over Tennant!

Unless the enemy of which they speak is Morbius (and it's bloody well not because it's obviously the Master) I just don't see why this Sisterhood has any claim to the Doctor's attentions! The last thing I ever saw occur between the two of them in the actual show was the Doctor cleaning out their chimney to help them out after they attempted to get him killed and what-not!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Gosh, she's looking awfully tan! I thought white British people were supposed to be all pasty and such under those eternal rain-clouds. Perhaps she's of Mediterranean descent or something?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:32 pm

The character has only appeared in that one little short thing with the 8th Doctor- Forest

I believe she is meant to be the same character as the Sister who took over from the old crone one in Morbius, she has just got older since then.

'allow her to be all chummy apparently'

She is, I wouldn't say the Doctor is, he just trusts her to do whatever it is he has asked her to do. Given the history between Tie Lords and Sisterhood that's most likely because its mutually beneficial.

'Unless the enemy of which they speak is Morbius (and it's bloody well not because it's obviously the Master)'

I'm not so sure of that- she specifically says the Doctor and 'he' have been enemies the entire time they have known each other, but that it not true of the Doctor and the Master, they were best friends.

'I just don't see why this Sisterhood has any claim to the Doctor's attentions! '

I don't think that judgement can be made on this prologue- the whole Karn stuff might be integral to the upcoming series and be full of insights and explanations into why this meeting took place at all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:19 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I will see what I can find for you at the time Figg- but might be tricky so soon if you cant access the iplayer.

Thumbs Up cheers

whats the iplayer?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:26 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Gosh, she's looking awfully tan! I thought white British people were supposed to be all pasty and such under those eternal rain-clouds. Perhaps she's of Mediterranean descent or something?

yeah she has been spray tanned to Oompa Loompa proportions Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:04 am

She looks like she's been working in an olive grove for 20 years.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:37 am

whats the iplayer? - Figg

The BBC iplayer- for watching BBC progs online-  http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

But you have to be in the UK to access it, or set your pc up so it thinks you are in the UK, I also believe you can get it as an app for some devices too- not sure how that works or if you have to pay for it however.

If you use Chrome, Firefox or Android OS then you can use Hola to trick the iplayer into thinking you are in the UK- just go to - http://hola.org/ - download the plugin for your browser- go to the bbc page- you will get redirected or get an error message, click on the new hola icon you should have somewhere on your browser, select UK and you are good to watch iplayer.

I have no idea how safe Hola is, what other sneaky progs it might install or otherwise- but plenty folk seem to use it. As with all net things- use at your own risk, or research it on google before deciding and installing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next