bungobaggins
Orwell
Forest Shepherd
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Crafty Things - Page 2 Empty Re: Crafty Things

Post by David H Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:21 pm

blossoms?!?! Congratulations on becoming an expectant parent!
{{{{{Crafty Things - Page 2 Shaking-hands-smiley-emoticon pub :carrot: drunken drunken :carrot: pub Crafty Things - Page 2 Shaking-hands-smiley-emoticon}}}}

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:20 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Unless you chop both your arms off!

Then you can only drink buckie through a flimsy straw the rest of your life and people make jokes about how handy you are to have around and how you really over-did it when they asked you if you could lend them a hand.
Laughing

I love coming across something I forgot I had written that makes me laugh. We really do tend to love our own creations more than anyone else does. Razz 

Anyway, here are some Christmas ornaments I made for my siblings (and one each for my niece and my mom). They have a back and front, as you can see:

Crafty Things - Page 2 23992291026_a177eb0155_c

Crafty Things - Page 2 23391611273_e40e688ba6_c

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:36 am

Those are gorgeous, Forest! You've got a serious talent there.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:51 pm

I love them !! Id buy one or three from you ! Nod

Crafty Things - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Crafty Things - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:19 pm

I love those. I love you
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Smile
Glad you like them!
There was one more I forgot to get a picture of that I made for my sister. It had a little river-otter on the back. Razz 

Really it's a surprisingly easy technique to pick up. The main difficult is maintaining control so that you don't cut too much, and keeping your blades sharp. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of the hobby, but I don't work at it enough. Hopefully I can dedicate myself more strongly to it, and work on something larger like a piece of furniture. (Made out of good wood too, not that darn glued-together crap that it took me so long to get through on the door!) ((Sorry no picture for that yet; I don't have a camera of my own.))

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:53 pm

yeah making things is really satisfying. Very Happy when I was a kid I used to make little houses out of scraps and bits and pieces people threw away.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 am

I did a very little bit of wood carving at camp one summer when I was little, but that was ages ago and just with a pocket knife.  What kind of blades do you use for your pieces, out of curiosity? Is there any kind of specialized stuff?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:10 am

Well I use a regular whittling knife for, you know... whittling. 
But those ornaments are chip-carved, which I did with just the one "cutting" chip knife (you can see a picture of it on the first page of this thread). Chip-carving knives are held differently and have fixed blades on them that are smaller than regular pocketknife blades.

Today I (probably the wrong way) took off the bubbled-up and old finish off of our large wooden mirror-frame, sanded it down, glued the fancy bits on the top back on, and put an initial layer of polyurethane on it. It's funny refinishing furniture: making it look new again.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:45 pm

I took a picture of that door finally.  Rolling Eyes

Close-up:

Crafty Things - Page 2 31539470652_26a1c6eda7_z

Overall:

Crafty Things - Page 2 31685503035_6d626e946c_c

The wood was rather rubbish for chip-carving -- it's partially fabricated and glued together -- and you can see rough spots in the close-up where I slipped up.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Ah, there seems to be cabins in the family already.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Ah yes, that's for the farm interns.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 pm

that's a beautiful door, love the colour of the wood and the design. Thumbs Up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:05 am

So do I Smile its a good door Smile Still fond of the little wooden ornaments at the top of this page ! Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 am

Crafty Things - Page 2 Th_DSC07294_zpsakc48pll

Crafty Things - Page 2 Th_DSC07295_zpszxwwdn8g

Crafty Things - Page 2 Th_DSC07297_zpsuyyfzddv

I'm happy to be sleeping under this woodland creation, well, twiggy creation really Smile I also had enough of my bog standard, social housing kitchen cupboards so, out they came Smile took me days of pulling & tugging to be rid of it all, just the sink unit left now & Ive plans for that also. I like "Olde Worlde", real wood, organic, not laminated & plastic stuff. And I fractured my baby finger & dislocated the ring finger next to it. hurts like hell ! Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 pm

{{{ Wow! Shocked Very nice Azriel- worth the pain! Have a buckie to celebrate, soon forget about your finger, and then everthing you ever knew... drunken (very suitable for Forumshires resident witch too Very Happy ) }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:27 pm

What a bed! Brilliant lighting effects.

I'm with you , I like wood, unpainted, thank you! I've got a good friend who disapproves, thinks it looks backward and uncouth. She's wrong - polished wood with a nice stain and oil finish can't be improved upon and it's a sin to cover it up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Thankyou Petty Very Happy Ive a snug place to chant & worry no gooder's Smile polish up on my healing incantations. Smile
I agree Halfy, stained & oiled wood, heavenly, so soft & silky to the touch. The cinemas of my youth were like that. Rich wooden staircases, bannisters smooth from years of hands sliding along them, Velvet drapes that revealed like a waterfall when the intro began & the smell ! Smile The smell of polished wood permeated through. Why would you want anything else ??

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:22 am

that's flipping cool! cheers wish I had a bed like that. its very Elven.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 am

Oh 'eck, thankyou Embarassed Its very simple to do, Find some tall pliable tree shoots, cut down, leave outside to bump off any creepy crawlies, bring in, attach to bed posts with cable ties (lots ) then wrap yards of twine around to hide ugly cable ties, bend stems how you like them, trim & add Christmas fairy lights. I found a curtain on the internet that had that lovely moon & trees thing going on so, hang it behind & there you go, I was happy & lucky Very Happy Ive done a smaller version at the bottom of the bed also & I sleep SOOOO much better, tho I guess that could be suggestive. I cant think of many things worse than going to "Furniture Land", in the Sales, choosing mainstream furniture all churned out factory style. Even if homemade goes drastically wrong its better than run of the mill modernization.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 am

I made a bow and quiver for my sister, for her birthday. It was back in June, but I took some pictures before I gave it to her (The arrows I bought separately).

Crafty Things - Page 2 36074123044_fecbbbcec9_b

You can see the red oak and pine layers here:

Crafty Things - Page 2 36768524731_06002a75bf_c

And the nock for the string. The string is synthetic thread, wound by me. It's not that good. Definitely getting something sturdier for the next attempt.

Crafty Things - Page 2 36908318015_6d4807765a_c

Leather hand-grip:

Crafty Things - Page 2 36908316935_a2dbc419a7_c

The quiver was supposed to be a little more organic, but I ended up making it out of mostly flooring material actually. Razz  The walls are vinyl, and there's a piece of carpet in the bottom upon which the arrow-heads can rest. It hangs from the waist.

Crafty Things - Page 2 36768523681_c8489b4059_c

It works alright, I mean it probably has 30ish pounds to it, but that's okay for my sister. I'm just glad it didn't break like my last attempt!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:04 am

That looks really cool, Forest! Thumbs Up About how long is the bow when strung?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

{{Damn impressive work Forest Shocked You're quite the craftsman Nod }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:57 am

Wow. Did you do the oak and pine inlaying yourself, Forest? Is it a recurve? Quiver is cool looking.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Love the creativity Very Happy As soon as you see it you want to go all Legolas & fire off some arrows. Well made. Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum