Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur!

+12
dak
malickfan
ElendilTheShort
David H
Sinister71
bungobaggins
Mrs Figg
Bluebottle
azriel
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
DavidKillstein
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur! - Page 2 Empty Re: Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur!

Post by Sinister71 Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Blue no matter what I would not give my wost enemy (that'd be Figg!) TH as a present. Mad

WHAT???!!!!! Suspect  how very dare you

Arch nemesis better? Shrugging One with the power to redeem themselves forever by scrubbing a barrel free of its fridge monster perhaps Nod

:brows: :brows: BEST COUPLE, Kissing Right here I'm telling ya ... Sofa

slap laugh slap laugh slap laugh slap laugh slap laugh

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur! - Page 2 Empty Re: Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur!

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Certainly #overcompensating Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:52 am

ElendilTheShort wrote:I liked the Dol Guldor battle for the sword play. When the nine re manifested with Sauron and all those flames it reminded me of what would be a really, really, really bad 80's metal album cover. The extent of pj and co's rewriting/misunderstanding of the 9 is laid bare in these scenes.

The whole Angmar's tomb thing was the nadir of Gandalf's subplot for me. No Well, either that or the Galadriel's role in the "battle" at Dol Guldur in BOFA.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by dak Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:23 am

DavidKillstein wrote:I am!  Here's the link to my Hobbit re-edit blog, "There and Back Again" http://definitivehobbitcut.tumblr.com/.  It was written about on Gawker and Kotaku and since has been imitated but improved upon in many other fan edits.

Hey david I haven't yet watched your edit, decided to wait for the final april version- but I have checked out some scenes and I liked what I saw. I'm wondering about your collaboration with the underhill editor for the final version. I hope you're still sticking with the ruthless cutting - and your update mentions a lot of "more more more" stuff. I like that your intro was pared down to young Bilbo and Gandalf. I liked the voiceover of the "in a hole in the ground" intro of the underhill edit but didn't like him showing old Bilbo and definitely not Frodo. IMO the voice over should have ended at "it began as you might expect, the beginning of an unlikely friendship." straight into gandalf and leave out the Frodo references so the film can stand entirely on its own. I am impressed with all the Hobbit editors out there being able to edit the films so that I will actually watch it again.

dak
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 pm

[quote="Sinister71"]
Mrs Figg wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Blue no matter what I would not give my wost enemy (that'd be Figg!) TH as a present. Mad

BEST COUPLE

I voted for them Sofa :brows:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
malickfan wrote:I'm not convinced even a fan edit could inspire me to rewatch the film, I've already forgotten half of it...

I do remember enjoying the weird visuals of Doggle Door in a 'This isn't quite what quite what I expected, lol' way not for the writing so much...
I think Jackson just didn't care about what he was doing this time around

I on the other hand think Jackson cared very much what he was doing, making a 'fun' LOTR prequel for his own benefit, rather than adapting the book...

TH seems much more in line with his brand of humour and technical bobbins than LOTR.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:04 pm

malickfan wrote:
Sinister71 wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:

BEST COUPLE

I voted for them  Sofa  :brows:

Kissing Handbag
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:13 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
malickfan wrote:
Sinister71 wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:

BEST COUPLE

I voted for them  Sofa  :brows:

Kissing Handbag

lol!

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:08 am

Hoho, I just started reading this thread; Petty and David are so cute together, comparing notes. Razz

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur! - Page 2 Empty armoured ghosts

Post by ElendilTheShort Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:16 am

Eldorion wrote:
ElendilTheShort wrote:I liked the Dol Guldor battle for the sword play. When the nine re manifested with Sauron and all those flames it reminded me of what would be a really, really, really bad 80's metal album cover. The extent of pj and co's rewriting/misunderstanding of the 9 is laid bare in these scenes.

The whole Angmar's tomb thing was the nadir of Gandalf's subplot for me. No Well, either that or the Galadriel's role in the "battle" at Dol Guldur in BOFA.

not even considering that pile of leftovers, the whole thing about them manifesting themselves in armour, being defeated then remanifesting still in armour was complete balls.

they are invisible unless clothed, the whole idea of them being able to somehow form armour,have ghostly weapons, disappear through solid objects, is exactly like a ghost not tolkiens wraiths. The whole "should have stayed dead" line also betrays the writers lack of understanding of the nature of these wraiths.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:23 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

That was actually kind of awesome. Razz Those guys certainly have dedication.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:45 pm

ElendilTheShort wrote:
Eldorion wrote:

not even considering that pile of leftovers, the whole thing about them manifesting themselves in armour, being defeated then remanifesting still in armour was complete balls.

they are invisible unless clothed, the whole idea of them being able to somehow form armour,have ghostly weapons, disappear through solid objects, is exactly like a ghost not tolkiens wraiths. The whole "should have stayed dead" line also betrays the writers lack of understanding of the nature of these wraiths.

agreed Nod not to mention it made Elrond look like a plonker.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:24 pm

ElendilTheShort wrote:not even considering that pile of leftovers, the whole thing about them manifesting themselves in armour, being defeated then remanifesting still in armour was complete balls.

All good points. The tomb stuff was clearly a conscious change, but some of this stuff I wonder if they actively though "I think doing this different from the book would be better on film" or if they didn't even bother to do their research on how wraiths work in Tolkien's writings. (The latter was, according to the LOTR EE bonus features, the reason for Sauron being a disembodied eyeball and the army of the dead being invincible.)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:04 pm

"Death on film" seems to be Boyens'main defense when trying to justify departures from the text.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Yeah, it's usually PJ who states that he thinks that the films stayed more faithful than they actually did.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:55 pm

With the Hobbit at least I very much get the feeling they decided to make up their own story, using the book merely as an outline, and trust their own judgement, instead of Tolkiens. Whic in hindsight wasn't a very good decision.

I also think the parts I like the least from the LotRs movies are the ones where they seemed to do that. Put their own judgement over Tolkiens on story matters.

But if Peter Jackson wasn't even aware they were deviating.. who knows. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:09 am

Just reading this conversation confirms me in the view I won't be viewing Movie 3. That includes not watching your vid Mr Killer, sir. (Yes, I remember those Gandalf bits in the first two, I don't choose to be reminded! Mad ) But I swear it's not about you (you seem a nice chap Very Happy ), it's about him (who I refuse to name! Mad )

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:09 am

The only deviations/expansions/additions in all the movies that I can think of that I like and actually improved the film by being included were Boromirs last stand and the beacons in ROTK were also very Tolkien (stars, mountains)  The rest you would expect to scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

BOFA is complete horses arse. DOS and AUJ are only marginally better. The yardstick on this matter for me was the fact I was only inclined to view BOFA once in theatres and the other 2 twice each (pretty bored on both second viewings, I think I was hoping things would get better on repeat viewing, maybe I had missed some important thematic devices, characterisations or......OK nah that is crap, these movies posses no such quality or depth) Despite their severe shortcomings, I saw each of the LOTR movies several times in the theatre.

As time goes on I more keenly sense the lost opportunity. I think this was exacerbated by the terminally downward spiral of the quality of the films and BOFA almost entirely deviating from the book. I especially hate (within the context of my appreciation of Tolkiens work) every word that exits Phillipa Boyens mouth.

I very much admire anyone who has had the strength not to watch these movies.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:09 am

I only watched this trio of Bile in order to complain about them ! !st film, AUJ, I watched at the cinema with my son, because he wanted it. Next 2 times I did not. I still feel miserably let down. Going by LOTRs & having had enough years to perfect 'your skill', peejers went in totally the opposite direction & served up the biggest bucket of putrid, rancid, vile, smelly puke Ive never seen the like of before ! Not only am I disappointed, & let down but, peejers & the schizophrenic voices in his head ( ie Boyens & Walsh ) Let themselves down, lowered the confidence of any future film making dramatically & probably pissed off half the actors & crew ! In future if I ever see peejers name incorporated with a film I think Il steer clear ! Personally I think Boyens & Walsh should be smeared in Marmite & let loose in a dark forest in the back of beyond inhabited by cannibals, There you are Peejers, film that !

Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur! - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: The Battle of Dol Goldur! - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:53 am

it beggars belief that all that money was wasted on third rate rubbish, when the quality should have improved with time, it didn't, it went downhill. Even the music score was phoned in.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:54 am

I thought Jackson's remake of King Kong was not half bad, though there were some excess PJ moments, of course.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:18 am

...and, of course, nothing could be half as bad as what he did to Tolkien's ghost. Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 am

You know, if PJ had changed Smaug into Puff'n'Stuff, Freddie into The One Ring, and Bilbo into Jimmy, the Trilogy may not have been nearly nearly half as bad. Surprised

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:35 am

THE JIMMY

In a grubby brick terrace in a coal town in Scotshobbitland there lived a Scotshobbit. It was a dark and dusty house full of buckie farts and the crowded Scotshobbits who farted them... What is a Scotshobbit? You mean you don't know? How long have you been in Forumshire did you say? Oh well, I guess I need to explain as Scotshobbits are rarer than they once were, ever since the Highland Clearances in fact, and while not a shy and retiring race those who know them still dream of a time when they become so. Now, the mother of our Scotshobbit was Maw McCracken, who was by Scotshobbit standards well-to-do, and the Scotshobbit himself was Jimmy McCracken. He was of the Pettyfoot Clan, an old and disrespectable clan of Scotshobbits as one could ever dread of knowing...

Yes - I think even I could do a better job than PJ - at a pinch...  Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:44 am

Now you've done it, Orwell. You must see this tale to completion now. bounce
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next