If you could learn another language, what would it be and why?

+13
huffjuff
Lancebloke
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Amarië
David H
bungobaggins
Bluebottle
halfwise
Mrs Figg
azriel
RA
17 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

If you could learn another language, what would it be and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: If you could learn another language, what would it be and why?

Post by Amarië Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 pm

*sniffle* How touching!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

If you could learn another language, what would it be and why? - Page 3 Empty Re: If you could learn another language, what would it be and why?

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Ok, since you asked. Smile

I love this tune so much. I whipped together a quick and dirty theme and variation on it. I'll probably go back to it and expand once I get my creative juices back. Smile

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:32 pm

halfwise wrote:I do so love that song. Very Happy I love you

How in the name of all that is sacred is "kjøpe" pronounced?

I was just asking that same question to myself. Shocked

fake edit ooh that's how its pronounced. Choopeechoop Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:12 pm

[quote="bungobaggins"]
Bluebottle wrote:
I love this tune so much. I whipped together a quick and dirty theme and variation on it. I'll probably go back to it and expand once I get my creative juices back. Smile

Oh, that sounds like you're having fun!

The genius of the Norwegian band is their interpretation suddenly opens you up to unlimited possibilities, they just had to put the thought in your head.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:13 am

[/quote]

That was good ! Very Happy Is this not the catchiest tune on here ? This simple ditty will live forever Very Happy

If you could learn another language, what would it be and why? - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

If you could learn another language, what would it be and why? - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Spanish so I could talk to all these fucking South Americans without sounding like a dick!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 pm

which bit are you in lance?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Spanish so I could talk to all these fucking South Americans without sounding like a dick!

Every country speaks a different dialect, but they'll all understand classic spanish. So they'll be able to understand you, but you'll have a hard time following them. I know because I live in a Dominican area, and I thought I had forgotten all my Spanish because I could never follow any conversations. Then I took a trip to Spain and everything was crystal clear.

If you're fluent you'd be fine, but without fluency you're lost in all the chewed words.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 am

bungobaggins wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Ok, since you asked. Smile

I can't help but love all the enthusiasm and creativity that song seems to engender around these parts. And all for such a silly little song. Razz You guys. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:45 am

Mrs Figg wrote:
halfwise wrote:I do so love that song. Very Happy I love you

How in the name of all that is sacred is "kjøpe" pronounced?

I was just asking that same question to myself. Shocked

fake edit  ooh that's how its pronounced. Choopeechoop Very Happy

https://translate.google.no/#no/en/Hvor%20kan%20jeg%20kj%C3%B8pe%20pizza%3F

There you go. Now you can purchase pizza in fjordianlandian. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:51 am

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Now, for all the time you english speakers on here has spent around norwegians, noone wants to learn norwegian? How is one to interpret that exactly? Razz

We've got all you guys here and you're better than Google Translate.  Why would we need to learn Fjordian? Moon

You learn a language to converse with people in it, I guess. Now, norwegian speakers.. You do know some of them, don't you? Whether you feel it's worth the effort, that's completely up to you of course. Wink

Other than that I feel Ringo and Amarië have made my case well for me. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:24 am

Mrs Figg wrote:which bit are you in lance?

We crossed in to Peru yesterday. Here for about a month starting in Mancora which is where I am now.

Halfy - I dont speak any Spanish. All I know I have picked up since being here which isn't much.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:28 am

Bluebottle wrote:

I can't help but love all the enthusiasm and creativity that song seems to engender around these parts. And all for such a silly little song.  Razz You guys. Smile

It's the little things that are the most inspiring, the things that invite invention and leave room for growth. The little germ that can expand into a universe.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by huffjuff Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm

I think I'd like to study northern sami (my grandparents speaks northern sami) and maybe french. As for now I speak the nordic languages, english and some german, so I think some french would do nice Smile

huffjuff
Ringwinner

https://andreashustadphotography.myportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by huffjuff Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm

OR maybe italian Smile

huffjuff
Ringwinner

https://andreashustadphotography.myportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 pm

italian's way less annoying. Actually spelled the way it sounds.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

I can't help but love all the enthusiasm and creativity that song seems to engender around these parts. And all for such a silly little song.  Razz You guys. Smile

You are used to hearing it as a folk song/children's song, and if the band hadn't done what it did with it, we would too. But that whimsical riff was our first introduction to it, giving us a whole different viewpoint.

It reminds me of when I heard an a cappela group do the commercial jingle "Bumblebee Tuna". Americans know the tune well and wouldn't give it a second thought, but this college group started riffing on it, and it was a rousing, joyous masterpiece. Pure genius: I've never viewed the tune the same way.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Yeah, we obviously have some different associations to the song. Good point. I still think the enthusiasm cute though. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:21 pm

It's beyond cute and heading towards adorable at full speed. Laughing
It's a Winnie the Pooh song originally.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Definitely adorable. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:43 pm

huffjuff wrote:I think I'd like to study northern sami (my grandparents speaks northern sami) and maybe french. As for now I speak the nordic languages, english and some german, so I think some french would do nice Smile

Sami would be cool. Nod  One does feel one kind of should know the languages spoken in ones own country. And then I could even understand the sami news on television. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Amarië wrote:It's beyond cute and heading towards adorable at full speed. Laughing
It's a Winnie the Pooh song originally.

Was it based on the Winnie the Pooh song?  Because other than the theme of snow and tiddly-pom the lyrics seem very different.  I'm just judging from the tiddly-pom placement.

Winnie the Pooh:
The more it snows, tiddly-pom
the more it goes, tiddly-pom
The more it goes, tiddly-pom
on snowing.

Norwegian:
It snows, it snows, tiddly-bom
la-la, la-la, tiddly-bom
la-di  la-da, la-di, la-da
Tiddly-bom la diddly-da!

different structure.  Nod

And of course her singing is ever so much sexier than when Pooh sings it.  Sends tremors down my spine to tickle me nether parts, it does.

Last edited by halfwise on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:34 pm

Its funny but Norwegian sounds closer to English than Welsh does. Sometimes (rarely) I can sort of work out what  a fyordlandian word means, like fisk, but Welsh might as well be ancient Sumerian, no words even closely resemble anything I have heard before. No

and yeah Italian does what it says on the tin. I mean. station, stazione, even I figured that out. Laughing just stick ione at the end of everything.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:17 pm

And wave your arms and waggle your eyebrows and get all worked up.

Or you can be British and plaster your upper lip in place.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:19 pm

BTW BB, does that snow band have other cute songs?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next