Bluebottle
Tinuviel
Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
shire_folk
20 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 Empty Re: Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: But what I would really like to see is The Hobbit.

I see what you did there

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 IcIRj

Sad

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 Empty Re: Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:16 pm

The children of Hurin combined with The Wanderings Of Hurin (it's in HOME 11 The War Of The Jewels) would make a excellent trilogy or miniseries, whilst Farmer Giles and Roverandom would be perfect candidates for a TV movie or animated adaption.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:40 pm

I wonder how many people would criticize such a miniseries for being "unfaithful" to the 1977 Silmarillion if they somehow based the conclusion on "The Wanderings of Hurin". Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Eldorion wrote:I wonder how many people would criticize such a miniseries for being "unfaithful" to the 1977 Silmarillion if they somehow based the conclusion on "The Wanderings of Hurin". Razz

I've read through the entire HOME (though parts of it only the once) and I'm none the wiser how faithful the published Sil is to Tolkien's actual intentions, so I'm probably not the best placed to complain if that were the case. Laughing

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:47 pm

CT disregarded "The Wanderings of Hurin" completely and wrote most of the "Ruin of Doriath" chapter from scratch on his own (in consultation with Guy Gavriel Kay) in order to make it fit with the rest of the consistent book he was trying to piece together.  When he was doing The History of Middle-earth years later there were a few points he criticized himself on and the whole post-Turin's death stuff was IIRC the area of his strongest self-criticism.

(For my part, I think the goal of creating a consistent and readable Silmarillion for people to read as an introduction to the First Age was a worthwhile goal and I'm glad CT did that, with all the compromises inherent in such a task, but I'm also very glad he let us see so much of his father's notes and story fragments as well.)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Eldorion wrote:CT disregarded "The Wanderings of Hurin" completely and wrote most of the "Ruin of Doriath" chapter from scratch on his own (in consultation with Guy Gavriel Kay) in order to make it fit with the rest of the consistent book he was trying to piece together.  When he was doing The History of Middle-earth years later there were a few points he criticized himself on and the whole post-Turin's death stuff was IIRC the area of his strongest self-criticism.

(For my part, I think the goal of creating a consistent and readable Silmarillion for people to read as an introduction to the First Age was a worthwhile goal and I'm glad CT did that, with all the compromises inherent in such a task, but I'm also very glad he let us see so much of his father's notes and story fragments as well.)

Well, I was actually making a weak point/joke about the confusing, complicated nature of The Sil's 'canonity' (Christopher Tolkien's amazingly detailed commentaries in the HOME only added to my confusion ironically) , but I'll still take the proper explanation Razz Cheers eldo Smile

It does raise an interesting point, when the rights to The Sil enter the public domain, wouldn't the same hold true for the HOME?, its hard to say whether Tolkien will still hold the same commerical/cultural appeal decades from now, but you never know we may see Trotter the wooden-footed hobbit ranger starring in his own spin off...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:55 am

Cheers malick! Very Happy

I think it was you who did some digging and found the guy who had apparently confirmed that CT is listed as a coauthor of The Silmarillion for copyright purposes. So it'll go into the public domain 70 years after Christopher's death, barring future changes to copyright law. Whether Christopher is listed as a coauthor or the sole author of HOME, it should open up at the same time. I don't think that there will ever be much of a market for HOME adaptations considering how obscure the books themselves are, but I could see certain filmmakers drawing on them for inspiration or particular elements. It'd be all but inevitable for any attempt at making a First or Second Age movie.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 am

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 Tomato-funny-face

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 UJpDi Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:02 am

Me by lunch time I think Smile

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Is that Peter Jackson? Suspect

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:32 am

Somehow the only thing I manage to dwell on is all that laundry and the cbined odor from all those men, hobbit. Elves, those hideous orvs evt
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:58 pm

leelee wrote:Somehow the only thing I manage to dwell on is all that laundry and the cbined odor from all those men, hobbit. Elves, those hideous orvs evt

Laughing

That got me thinking...Gandalf dosen't appear to change his clothes at all during the course of the six films, and in the books there is no record of him having a permanent home in Middle Earth...no wonder he was treated with suspicion in the shire...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Gandalf was a weed smoking hobbo Smile

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 13 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:31 pm

anyone who loves The Hobbit films is a nerdophiliac. its unnatural.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Razz

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:16 am

His love of the halflings' leaf has clearly dulled his hygiene habits.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:19 am

Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:30 am

Malick, I never once thought of that. He never carried a back sack with s change of garment and underwear. That rather shskes a person up.
And all that weed, oh people could just follow him about, breathe deeply and get toked for free. Somehow the lack of hygiene changes everything. And where,s the toothpaste and deodarant.
I feel itchy
I think I will have a shower with lovely goatsmil JBk soap. I MN
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:59 pm

When Elves wash your clothes... they stay clean for roughly 1,234 years (the Sea-elves invented Tide I apologize).

Gandalf's scarf was dry clean only however.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:58 pm

I see the lunacy has not worn off Smile & thank God for it ! Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Elthir wrote:When Elves wash your clothes... they stay clean for roughly 1,234 years (the Sea-elves invented Tide I apologize).

Gandalf's scarf was dry clean only however.

:facepalm: Tide.

I Sea what you did there. Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13