Bluebottle
Tinuviel
Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
shire_folk
20 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 Empty Re: Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:36 am

Come on guys, enough with the TORn whining.

bungobaggins wrote:In the future, if a teacher assigns their students to read The Hobbit and write a report on it, the students will be more than likely to actually read the book because it would be quicker than watching the movies. :prof:

Laughing The BBC actually made an estimate of this:

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 XNfgXyh
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 Empty Re: Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition

Post by Sinister71 Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:52 am

Yeah but getting kids to read now days is tougher because with a film all they have to do is sit on their butt and stare at the screen. A book requires imagination and a willingness to get to the end of the book. Both my boys love to read, but I have nephews that if it ain't on TV or a video game they aren't interested. And the hobbit films are kind of both, video gamish on TV

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:50 am

I think it all depends on how the kids are raised. If parents read to them every night before bed while they're little (what my parents did), then the kids are probably more apt to continue reading as they get older. If parents just plop them on the living room floor and let the TV be the babysitter, then they'll probably gravitate more towards that. It's not that video games are bad, it's just that they should be played in moderation (or at least that's how I feel). My brother played a lot of video games in his teenage years and he confessed to me last year that he felt like he really wasted his time and didn't get much out of them. I don't feel like I've ever wasted time, or gotten nothing out of reading a book.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:47 am

Young adult/teen fiction is a huge market. Plenty of kids read for fun.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:04 pm

bungobaggins wrote:In the future, if a teacher assigns their students to read The Hobbit and write a report on it, the students will be more than likely to actually read the book because it would be quicker than watching the movies. :prof:

Agreed. I got NOTHING from the films, my brain just died a death & went numb but books, well, look at the fun in that ! its personal, it involves only you, its you that gets the tingles, its you that wants to carry on. The only carrying on I wanted to do was look for the exit ! Include just a few sketches or drawings to feed the imagination & voila !

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:33 pm

azriel wrote:

Agreed. I got NOTHING from the films, my brain just died a death & went numb but books, well, look at the fun in that ! its personal, it involves only you, its you that gets the tingles, its you that wants to carry on. The only carrying on I wanted to do was look for the exit ! Include just a few sketches or drawings to feed the imagination & voila !

Oh I completely agree, as would my kids. Reading is so immersive, it's a wonderful thing. I get stuck in a book sometimes and next thing I know it's 4 am and I got to get up at 6.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:01 am

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/s225/hannibal/interviews/a644201/richard-armitage-looks-back-on-the-hobbit-and-forward-to-hannibal.html

When asked what scenes he's looking forward to in BOFA-EE:

Richard Armitage wrote:Yeah, there's a big funeral scene which was cut from the final film, and I know they were quite upset that that had to be lost, so I'm looking forward to seeing that. There's also a fantastic chariot chase during the battle - they built this incredible chariot with a crossbow on the back, and I think we had Dwalin and Balin and a couple of the other dwarves on the chariot. I heard a sneaky rumour that they may do a limited cinema release just because some of the footage is so epic, and WETA Digital have been working like crazy to get it finished.

Laughing @ the bolded

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a completionist but I know I'll be seeing this when it comes out. I can't imagine abandoning these films at the final hurdle after following them for 6.5 years (seven by the time December rolls around).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:36 am

Eldorion wrote:Come on guys, enough with the TORn whining.

Huh....what? That's even more fun that PJ bashing.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:09 pm

I kinda don't want to get into this argument again, but I was concerned a couple of months ago (as were multiple other people who PM'd me about this) that we were in danger of becoming a "TORn rejects" forums and that it was hard to have a Hobbit-related discussion without discussion of that site taking over the thread.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Ho boy, can't wait for that chariot race sequence that was totally in the book. Rolling Eyes

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 Ben_hur_01

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Maybe PJ realized he still needed to rip off Ben-Hur in order to complete his Star Wars Prequels bingo. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Star Wars Prequels bingo.

lol!

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 UJpDi Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition - Page 2 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:15 pm

I was just going to ask where did GL rip off Ben-Hur, and then I remembered the podrace. :facepalm:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I'd be really interested to see that funeral scene. That was one thing that felt distinctly lacking in the movie.

The chariot racing.. yeah.. not so much..

Although I do baulk a bit at.. or am i reading this wrong.. they're still working on it? They had a year, an additional year to what was originally planned, with no reshoots, no additional filming, and they still couldn't get this done in time for the standard edition premier?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:34 pm

There were a few bits of ROTK-EE (well, at least one live-action shot) that was filmed after the Oscar sweep. And of course the EEs have lots of new digital effects shots. But yeah, PJ is not known for being a master of careful planning or scheduling.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Fair point. I guess it wouldn't be as much of a problem if the movie didn't feel half finished. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
Although I do baulk a bit at.. or am i reading this wrong.. they're still working on it? They had a year, an additional year to what was originally planned, with no reshoots, no additional filming, and they still couldn't get this done in time for the standard edition premier?

I recall reading the other day Jackson is currently involved in setting up WW1 exhibits to commemorate the centenary of The Gallipoli landings, so it's possible as BOTFA neared completion he switched his energies to other projects, perhaps he always intended to finish the EE later than usual.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Eldorion wrote: we were in danger of becoming a "TORn rejects" forum

I wonder, how many of us were rejected by TORn, and how many of us rejected them Suspect

I haven't posted there in months, but I have noticed a few other Tolkien forums seem quieter than before, I wonder if it will be a repeat of 2005 with no new films to talk abouthopefully the fanbase crawls to a slow halt...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:57 pm

malickfan wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:

I recall reading the other day Jackson is currently involved in setting up WW1 exhibits to commemorate the centenary of The Gallipoli landings, so it's possible as BOTFA neared completion he switched his energies to other projects, perhaps he always intended to finish the EE later than usual.

Yeah, I think others have brought up the idea before that his interest in the project of the Hobbit waned when it didn't attract the kind of attention he had hoped. But the movie was screaming out for something like the funeral scene, and if it wasn't in because they didn't manage to finish it in time..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

Yeah, I think others have brought up the idea before that his interest in the project of the Hobbit waned when it didn't attract the kind of attention he had hoped. But the movie was screaming out for something like the funeral scene, and if it wasn't in because they didn't manage to finish it in time..

It was definitely filmed (saw some screenshots posted on Reddit) and I don't see why you wouldn't include it, but I suppose he was wary of the Too Many endings criticisms repeating themselves, more people than usual seemed to have issues with the theatrical cut of BOTFA it certainly felt surprisingly rushed for a Jackson film.

I still think some of the issues stem from hiring just one principle editor to work on all three films, it's a hell of a lot of work...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:19 pm

malickfan wrote:
Eldorion wrote: we were in danger of becoming a "TORn rejects" forum

I wonder, how many of us were rejected by TORn, and how many of us rejected them  Suspect

I haven't posted there in months, but I have noticed a few other Tolkien forums seem quieter than before, I wonder if it will be a repeat of 2005 with no new films to talk abouthopefully the fanbase crawls to a slow halt...

They rejected me. But then again, it was like hanging out with people you thought were your friends, but you couldn't be yourself around them. Here it's totally different.

Handbag pub :carrot: Kissing

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:44 pm

You can do all the dwarf-tossing you want here, Bungo.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Fair point. I guess it wouldn't be as much of a problem if the movie didn't feel half finished. Shrugging

Yeah, I agree that several parts of BOFA felt like they just said "fuck it, we can finish it for the EE".
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:01 pm

malickfan wrote:I wonder, how many of us were rejected by TORn, and how many of us rejected them  Suspect

It's hard to say.  I think most people here (at least from the older crowd) posted on Forumshire or Bree before joining any other forums, so any falling out between TORn and, say, Petty would be difficult to classify.  But I know we've had at least a few members make their ways here via TORn.  There was a time when I posted more on TORn than any other forum, though that was because I'd gone into self-imposed exile from the LOTR Plaza, and my activity at TORn sharply declined after I returned to the Plaza.  This place was only just beginning to get active at that point.  I still have fond memories of many people at TORn and was pleased to learn more recently that a few of them still remember me as well.

Yeah, The Hobbit failed to save most of the older forums, but activity among all forums (including ones like TORn and us that parlayed The Hobbit trilogy into growth) has sharply declined since BOFA.  TORn's BOFA boost extended longer than most but they're seeing drop-offs now as well.  It's hard to say when and where activity will stabilize for various forums.  January was an atrocious month for us, but March was back up over 100 posts per day.  We'll probably settle somewhere in between, at least in the short to medium term.  But the fandom in 2014 was already smaller than the fandom in 2003 and the declines started sooner, so I worry about what kind of future awaits Tolkien forums over the next several years.

bungobaggins wrote:They rejected me. But then again, it was like hanging out with people you thought were your friends, but you couldn't be yourself around them. Here it's totally different.

Handbag pub :carrot: Kissing

I'm sorry that you or anyone else felt rejected by TORn, and our door is certainly open to anyone who's interested, regardless of their experiences on other forums.  I am proud of the way in which our forum is structured and our culture has grown, which is in many ways a deliberate reaction against more conventional styles of forums.  Comparisons are inevitable between the current two largest Tolkien forums, but I don't want us to be defined simply by being "not TORn".
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat May 02, 2015 10:10 am

Saw a complete edition of all three movies for sale. Resisted the (slight) urge to buy it. Still haven't seen three yet. I am strong. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next