azriel
Forest Shepherd
Lancebloke
bungobaggins
Eldorion
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014

Post by malickfan Tue May 05, 2015 6:28 pm

I think a chapter by chapter discussion of LOTR sounds good, Forumshire has the advantage of bumping threads automatically (unlike say TORn), I tend to wonder in and out of subjects, and a LOTR discussion is likely to be as time consuming as it is interesting, chapter by chapter will make things easier to follow.

Petty, I wouldn't worry about no Bakshi or PJ disuccion, I'm sure you'll find some way to bring them up Laughing

I have a copy of The Road To Middle Earth lying around somewhere, Professor Shippey's chapters on LOTR are fascinating reading, might be a good excuse to dust it off for a re-read...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014

Post by Eldorion Tue May 05, 2015 9:01 pm

I've read a fair bit of Tolkien scholarship but strangely never got around to any of Shippey's books, though I've had them recommended to me numerous times.  Hmm...

I agree with the chapter-by-chapter idea (breaking it into somewhat manageable chunks is really the only way to do this in a coordinated fashion, I think).  Having some starter questions or discussion prompts for each chapter (plus the prologue and appendices?) would probably be helpful.  It can be a bit much for one person to do all of them but we could divvy it up; people volunteer for the chapters that interest them the most.  I know Halfy has already expressed interest in "Concerning Hobbits" from the Prologue.

As for a movie analysis thread, I think that looking at the films and their adaptation decisions in order would be interesting, certainly a different angle from most of our discussions on this topic, but going through each chapter or scene individually is probably overkill. Besides, the chapters and scenes don't match up exactly or go in entirely the same order.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Glad so many like the idea Very Happy I'd love to include the appendices, tons of cool stuff to discuss in there Smile

Biggest Tolkien Forums of 2014 - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3